Unexpected Treasure-My FAVORITE! (And who won the bacon!)

You are currently browsing comments. If you would like to return to the full story, you can read the full entry here: “Unexpected Treasure-My FAVORITE! (And who won the bacon!)”.

11 Responses to Unexpected Treasure-My FAVORITE! (And who won the bacon!)

1. Kristie says:

I love Norman Rockwell!!!

2. Teya Peck says:

Marcia, I read that entire blog with my mouth wide open! I am a deltiologist and never knew it! I have a box of post cards! I have collected over the years. It started with places I had been. Then places I wanted to go. Then certain styles and historic value etc etc etc. It is hard to sift through because of memories attached and so on. CRAZY!!!! We have 3 normal Rockwell pictures in our home. Girl that is just freaky! I though I was the only person weird enough to collect post cards. I even have friends that send me special ones when they visit places I haven’t been. I don’t think I could part with any of them. Now I’m going to have to check out post cards on eBay!! Aaaaaaahhhhhhhhhhhh!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Ooooh I bet I could find some that go along with themed books. Oh girl you’ve created a monster in me. I now have this urge to go organize my post card box, AGAIN! I may have to post a picture….hmmmmm maybe not I’d be tempted to post a story with each one. See your not the only one to RAMBLE ON!!! LOL!

3. Gail Hardman says:

I have a recent collection of postcards from many different counties as my brother in law works for an oil & gas company and travels quite regularly. For example: Italy, France, England, Norway, Turkey, Libya, Abudhabi, Dubai – missed me on his last trip to China.
    One of my nephews lives in China and teaches ESL, travelled to N Korea and sent me a postcard from there. Needless to say my USPS delivery person is always checking to see where my postcard are from!

4. Kelly Winland says:

I love ANYTHING vintage – I even have my mother’s collection of matchbooks, that she started in 1940! I wonder what matchbook collecting is called, hmmmm…

5. Sarah Walter says:

I love reading all of your personal stories at the end of your books and on your blog. It makes me love your writing even more! And these postcards would be the best gift for my Dad, who is a huge fan of anything Norman Rockwell.

6. I LOOOVE Norman Rockwell!

7. Mari says:

Let me start by saying that I love your blog posts! I had never thought of collecting vintage postcards but what a lovely idea! I would love to ease my way into it 🙂

8. Mindy says:

My sister bought my great aunts house a few years ago. .. there was a room in the basement that was locked and as kids we were never alowed in. .. when she bought the house it’s the first thing we wanted to check out. .. we found tons of treasure… but I think the coolest thing was finding my Grandpa’s army trunk. .. it had his uniform… metals…old pictures of his buddies… but we found letters and post cards him and my Grandma had written back and forth…. I love finding things I know are old because of the stories behind each thing. .. but the part I love the most is who they belonged to. .. because something as simple as a post card or letter was something people did everyday to communicate and sometimes they had to wait forever to receive one. .. they probably Never thought someone would give their post cards a second glance these days… when we showed my Grandma the letters she jUst waved her hand and said “o you found those old things. .. nothing juicy in there” but with a twinkle in her eye she went through them smiling every now and then. .. it was an awesome experience!!! Thanks for the post about post cards… memories of finding all those treasures came flooding back 🙂

9. Katie B says:

Wow, Marcia… can I just say that you have given me back a part of myself that I never really thought about. Through your books and now your posts I have remembered my deep love of treasures (things of the past that money cannot replace). I used to love all of my grandmothers and great grandmothers things and tried to keep everything. But I was constantly told I am a clutter bug, or trash heep keeper. Little did I realize, being so young, that my true love and interests were with these treasures of the past.
    Recently my oldest daughter was given a special doll from France that her great-grandmother bought for her. She bought it because it reminded her of a Norman Rockwell painting. One Norman Rockwell painting can say so much about real life and the past. They are true treasures.
    Thank you for sharing all of these amazing things you love and your interests. You help me appreciate all the small things we all forget about and no longer see.

10. Carolyn says:

Wow that is a lot of history!

If this giveaway is still going I’m in!

11. Tacia says:

I was reading this and I realized that I don’t think I’ve ever received a postcard that wasn’t from my dentist reminding me to make an appointment. I also realized that I’ve never sent a postcard to anyone ever. I’ve written letters a ton and had a pen pal when I was young, but never have I ever sent a post card.
    I save all the letters and cards I’ve ever received and I don’t have a single postcard. It makes me wonder if I misplaced one and the person who sent it well read this and think I’m a horrible friend. Kind of like when I was a kid and felt sad if I caught my mom throwing a dandelion away that I had given her, even though she kept it until it died. … sorry… tangent.
    I love Norman Rockwell and I’ve loved his calendars that I’ve used over the years. I like trying new things. This blog post has given me something new to try. Thanks!