The Toad Stabber (and Pig Pile winner!)

You are currently browsing comments. If you would like to return to the full story, you can read the full entry here: “The Toad Stabber (and Pig Pile winner!)”.

8 Responses to The Toad Stabber (and Pig Pile winner!)

Love it! The toad stabber?? Yes, I think Grandma MUST have one of those! I mean, it IS a tradition right? You gotta find out this mystery and let us all know!! Thanks for another great story!

2. Chalinor L says:

I’ve never heard of a toad stabber before 🙂 I think that would be great fun to be in a future book 🙂

3. Jelaire says:

My favorite silly family tradition would have to be the Halloween Carols. Yes, you did read that right. Halloween Carols. They are the tunes for Christmas songs and have Halloween lyrics. For my grandma’s birthday last year my aunt typed them up on cute paper and had them spiral bound so that we have actual song books.
    I think a toad stabber sounds like a fabulous thing to have in your kitchen!

4. Millie says:

How funny! In my family we have a knife called Toe Stabber. Does that sound like Toad Stabber? :p This was a good size knife that we would get ingrown toenail out. 😀

5. Jennifer H says:

Hilarious!
    Although, personally we just let our toads go… though they do tend to stick around! Haha
    AND it would be SO much easier to ask for a knife by name I must admit rather than going to get it yourself in exasperation… hmm I haven’t ever had to do that, now have I ;^)
    You are right though, you should definitely have a Toad Stabber just to carry on the tradition!

6. Shannon H says:

We also have one of those funny things in our family, Its called a VILDA. You know how when you are eating something really cold and it freezes your head and you think it might explode and you hate yourself for eating that ice-cream or surlpee way too fast. Then you want to scream, well that very thing happened to our Aunt Vilda, now anyone who has a brain freeze, will scream “AUGH I am having a VILDA” and everyone knows just what that means. I love little family personalities, they make me smile! Just like toad stabbers!

7. Oris says:

Marcia,
    Another family thingy. Do you remember, The Community Slip?

8. Leo Jones says:

Growing up in our family, some 80 years ago a toad stabber was any knife you carried with you. You could even use it to peal “spuds” known today as potatoes or some also call them tatters. You always put lots of skid grease “butter it is called today” on them either before you cooked them or after. For breakfast you had sow belly (bacon) and cackle berries (eggs)..