Reminiscing…

You are currently browsing comments. If you would like to return to the full story, you can read the full entry here: “Reminiscing…”.

15 Responses to Reminiscing…

1. Mippy says:

I miss/feel nostalgic for being age 6. Life made more sense then, even though the grown ups in my world didn’t always make sense…..my life did.
    I miss the innocence and pure joy life was to meh. I believed I could do anything.
    I miss the moments of those first stolen kisses. I miss being able to be friends with boys and it never really got complicated. I miss the camaraderie and friendship I shared with neighbor children. The grandparents I adopted up and down the street. I miss the people and animals I would go visit. I miss getting hugs and lollipops for being good or brave, and I miss stickers for a job well done. I miss being 6 years old.

2. Chelsea B. says:

Thanks for sharing that walk with us!
    I get memory-hungry a lot of times. About people I used to know, things I did. I read a quote once that said something like: Sometimes you miss the memories, not the people. Personally, that’s the way I usually feel. Not all of the time. Sometimes I’ll miss that one special person who touched my life more than they could know. But usually, it’s the memories.
    I’ve never watched ‘Flipped’. I remember, a while back, watching the trailer on Youtube, but I guess I never caught the movie. Thank you for the givaway!

3. April Turner says:

Marcia,
    My husband is from Grace, Idaho. We were just in Grace yesterday. Small world uh? We have another place in common, too.

When I was 8-10 we lived in Rio Rancho, NM then Corrales NM. I remember playing in the desert ditches, catching lizards, watching hot air balloons. One balloon even landed in our yard when my brother and I were out catching lizards. I was 8 and very excited. I also remember riding our horses on the Mesa, and down to the Rio Grande.

I have fond memories of being so free to roam.

4. Carol says:

I miss my neighborhood childhood that my kids never experienced because there just aren’t that many kids outside and around during the day anymore – pick-up games in the yard (cutting the lawn in a diamond for baseball – then having to re-cut before dad got home so it looked right!), riding mini-bikes through the corn-fields and having ‘corn stalk wars’ with the next ‘neighborhood’ group on the street, putting together ‘cheers’ while the guys played football, 7-up, 4-squarem and P-I-G on the driveway, setting up barbie and GI-Joe stuff all over the front yard/garden area…

5. Lisa Hanson says:

I miss riding my bike down a hill “hands free!” I always thought it was such a huge hill. When I go there today I see it as such a small hill but the thrill of the ride is still clear.

Mostly, I miss the friendships of days gone by.

6. Carol L says:

Thanks Marcia for sharing your memories. Lately I’ve been missing a lot of people and special times in my life. Then I go searching through pictures. As long as we all have our special memories we can never really be alone. 🙂 I’ve never heard of the movie Flipped before.
    Thanks for your post today and the chance to win.
    Carol L

7. Michelle Fidler says:

I’m kind of nostalgic about my journals. Sometimes I would write down movies that I had seen on T.V. or books that I was reading. It’s fun to go back and read them, even if you may not remember much about the movie that you mentioned in your journal, especially if it was made for T.V. I remember seeing a good one called The Curse of the Pharaohs. It’s fun to see what I was watching, reading, and what music I was listening to. Now I keep a list of books that I’ve read.

I still have the journals that we had to write for our high school English class. I remember that in class we were supposed to write in our journals every day, but a lot of kids didn’t. I enjoyed writing in mine and also writing long letters.

I had a good childhood so I’m nostalgic about that too.

8. Paige says:

I love the smell of the regular chapstick. The ones with the black wrapper. Its the chapstick my dad used all the time while I was growing up, and every time I use it, I remember my daddy and all of the great childhood memories I have with him.

9. Stacie Smith says:

I consider my childhood one of the greatest one could ever have. I grew up in the beautiful country of Alaska and was able to take advantage of the beautiful nature. We had the luxury growing up of my dad working two weeks on and then he had two weeks off! What a life! We had a two week vacation every two weeks. One of my fondest memories was going up to a place called Chicken, Alaska. Our family did a lot of gold panning up there and we happened to come across this little shop where you could go down by a stream and pan gold. So, of course we had our pans with us so my sister and I got a pan full and started panning. We were only like 10 and 12, but we were pros. A man who brings down the dirt from a claim happened to come across us and was impressed that we knew how to use a gold pan and came up to our family and asked us to go up with him to his claim! Oh that was so much fun. Nothing is better than the great outdoors of Alaska.

10. Rose Milligan says:

Oooh yay! This is a great movie. Sorry for the sad comment. But lately a lot of tv shows have made me think about my dad. I watched a show about a baby’s first birthday, and it made me think of my family’s traditions. My mom would make a cake for the birthday baby. The baby would destroy the cake, and then my dad would lift us up in the air and give us a kiss. My mom has a picture of this from mine and each of my siblings’ birthdays. Now I can’t wait for my own daughter’s first birthday. Thanks for having the giveaway.

11. Michelle Harden says:

My maternal grandmother, who came to the US in 1953 from Germany has told me her life story (a lot of WW2 crazy things) and I’ve written them down and soon hope to make small books for my family. This woman is my hero, she is amazing, and as I’ve seen the affects of dementia starting to take hold of her, I’m so glad I got to spend my childhood in her home, and have her share her life and stories with me!

12. Jessie says:

I feel nostalgic over commuting up and down I-15 each day to work my first year teaching. Now that I live in Alaska, I miss the freeway, and in my memories it was always sunny and I was blaring Keith Urban with my windows down. I love nostalga (everythings better there)!

13. librarypat says:

I have never seen FLIPPED. Looks good. I miss the weekends when we were growing up. We lived out in the country. We had lots of cousins who lived in the city. There were 6 children in our family. On weekends we usually had a bunch of cousins stay with us. 15 kids made for great sleepovers. There were children of all ages.
    We would play hide and go seek well into the night. Lie out under the stars (no light pollution). Hike through the surrounding pastures and woods. It was great to not have a care in the world.
    During the day, aunts and uncles would be there. I can remember taking two or three loaves of bread and making sandwiches for the crew. My mom would grind up chunk baloney, dill pickles, mix with mayo and mustard to make a sandwich spread. May sound bad, but it is so good. My children love it too.

Thanks for bringing back great memories.

14. Kirsten E says:

Several years ago I realized how important it is to write down any and all memories from growing up so I started doing it. It’s fun to reminisce but equally important for your posterity to have that history! I’ve never seen Flipped but I’m a sucker for sweet romance!

15. bn100 says: